2009年7月6日 星期一

字彙 (4) - Put forward

"Accommodate" (verb) means to have or provide enough space for a group of people or things. "Accommodate" can also mean to try to do what someone wants or to provide what someone needs. "Accommodate" is used with an object. Other forms include "accommodating" (adjective) and "accommodations" (noun).

The conference facility can accommodate 300 people.
The hotel accommodates the handicapped by provideing ramps and elevators.

"Reservations" (noun) are feelings of doubt or concern that you have when you don't completely agree with a plan, suggestion, or idea. "Reservations" is always plural, except in the expression "without reservation."

I had some reservations when I review the offer more closely.
The new candidate is more than qualified for the position. I would hire him without severvation.

"Put forward" (phrasal verb) means to introduce a plan or an idea for discussion. "Put forward" is a separable phrasal verb and is used with an object. It can also be followed by "that + S + V."

We would like to put forward some additional points.
I would like to put forward that we give the managers some feedback.
He put forward some excellent ideas.

I’d like to propose ….
I’d like to put forward ….
I’d like to suggest ….

"Be out of the question" (verb phrase) means to be not possible or not allowed. If something is "out of the question" it is completely impossible and should not even be considered.

It is out of the question to hire a new prodoct manager right now.
I am sorry, but your request is out of the question.
Frankly, that is out of the question. We need more time.
That is likely to prent the difficulties for our client.

"Gradual" (adjective) means happening or changing slowly over a long period of time.

Rest assured that it will be a gradual transition.
There was a gradual decline is the stock price over twelve months.
This year it is seeing a gradual recovery.

"Head back" (phrasal verb) means to start to return to a place. "Head back" is an inseparable phrasal verb and is not used with an object. It can be followed by "to" and the name of a place.

I am heading back back tonight, but please feel free to call me.
When do you plan to head back to the U.S.?

"For as long as" means during a certain period of time, from beginning to end. It is used to express that something was happening or was true for an entire, specified period of time.

For as long as we have been in business, we have produced quality products.

Connectors showing time relationships also include the following phrases: "the first time (that), " "the second time (that)," "the next time (that)," and "the last time (that)." The word "that" is optional.

The first time (that) I went to England, I visited London.
I will go shopping the next time (that) I go to London.

"Every time" is always two separate words (只有分開兩個字)
Every time (that) our boss calls a meeting, it always lasts longer than planned.
Every time = whenever

Everyday (adj) v.s. every day (adv)
I am most confortable in my everyday clothes.
I take a show every day.

Every one v.s. everyone (=everybody)
I would like everyone to attend the concert.
Every one of us likes to be treasured.

沒有留言:

張貼留言